Thursday, February 9, 2023

Don’t worry, be happy 😁

As I looked at the readings for Sunday I was reminded that regardless of anything else going on, God made us, He created us and He will look after us. This Sunday is  also known as Creation Sunday. It is a strange title, except every reading reminds us that we were created by God and given this beautiful world because God loves us.


The first reading is the rather long story of Creation (Genesis 1:1-2:3).  Whenever I read or hear this account I love to think of God looking at the world and thinking – not bad, I did that! I love the idea of Him being like an artist looking for perfection. I really like the thought of God being playful almost as He created. Almost a kind of, “Well let’s see what happens if I separate the waters.” And then “Let me see what else I can make.” Of course there are lots of different views in science but I believe that every one of these views points back to God.


The most important bit is that, however it was done, God created, and it was good. In the epistle reading from Romans (8:18-25) we read of the concerns of people as they waited for God to help them.  They had looked at the world around and the creation and they knew that things were not perfect and full of joy as God had intended them to be. Like all of us, as they waited, they were anxious. They knew that God was in control and that the suffering they saw was nothing compared to what they were going to see when they saw God in His glory.


It’s almost a bit like, “Don’t worry, be happy.” Well, that’s fine for other people but worry still happens for us all at times.  


It’s the gospel reading (Matthew 6:25-34) which helps me the most. I can picture  the disciples listening to Jesus as He told them not to worry. As Jesus spoke He appeared to be full of joy and wonder at the creation around Him. He looked at the birds and saw that they had no worries, everything was sorted out for them and they flew with freedom, and the lilies He saw grew with no concerns.


As we’d expect Jesus used the illustration of creation well. This is because He was able to show the joy of creation. This encouraged people not to worry. He was reminding them, and us, that God is in control. 


It’s really hard when faced with difficulty to trust God and not worry, but the readings remind me of the joy of God in creating. Not only this but I am reminded of the difficulties that can come when I don’t trust God. These are the times when I end up seeing everything as a worry.


I have been singing ‘don’t worry, be happy’ in my head. I hope that for the rest of the week and always when I do this, I will remember that God loves me, He loves us all, and we need to turn to our Creator in praise. Don’t worry be happy πŸ™‚

No comments:

Post a Comment

To doubt or not to doubt.

Life is full of moments of excitement and anticipation. There are so many times when something so brilliant has happened that we can’t help ...